This past Saturday was an incredibly warm & beautiful February day!
Usually at this point in February we’re hunkered down in our home keeping warm. I’ll admit it. After the festivities of Christmas & New Years are over, I’m basically ready for Spring. So I was thanking God for a nice warm day so that I could recharge on sunshine and make it a few more months until Spring arrives.
I opened all of the windows in the house, turned on my Gungor Pandora station & cleaned my poor neglected kitchen. Sun streaming in, fresh air rejuvenating the house (and me), I stood at the kitchen sink & watched my daughters and husband playing in our backyard. I couldn’t help but smile.
It was then that I really started listening to the song that was playing. I became completely overwhelmed with love & thankfulness. Everything that I have, our home, our daughters, my husband, even my job have all been desires that I have prayed for, sometimes even pleaded God for.
All at once I remembered
- Being told that my then boyfriend & I would never last because no one finds their future husband their first semester of college.
- Crying & confiding to a close group of women at church on our anniversary because another pregnancy test had come up negative.
- Crying & praying with my husband after our 2nd appointment when we found out that although I was pregnant I also was in a very early stage of cervical cancer.
- Receiving a clean bill of health from my surprised doctor as I held my infant daughter in my arms.
- Celebrating with my husband after he was offered his first (and current) teaching position.
- Finally purchasing our home that was NOT a fixer upper.
- Informing my surprised husband that I was indeed pregnant again.
As I stood there, my eyes welling up with thankful tears, I raised my hands high and praised the Lord for everything He has done for me. It continued to build up inside of me until I finally had to fully give in and kneel on my kitchen floor, crying & praising God.
Now I must interrupt this awesome picture with what happened next because it’s pretty common for things in our life to have an “and then…” turn in the story.
AND THEN…My husband came in the house, walked in the kitchen and immediately assumed that I had injured myself somehow while cleaning. This serious, heartfelt moment of worship ended in tears & laughter after he calmed down and I explained that I was just fine… MORE than fine.
After I got up and cleaned my face off I started to think again about all of the awesome things God has done. Not just in my life but in the lives of others, of everyone. We are told to count our blessings and be thankful, but how often are we truly overwhelmed by all that he has done & is doing in our lives. I know that sometimes my prayers of thanksgiving, although genuine, are maybe not a deeply set as they should be. I feel that he deserves more than a prayer list of the items & people that I am thankful for. He DESERVES to be honored. He DESERVES to be praised for the Awesome and Holy God that He is.
“Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.”
I came across this verse and I absolutely love it! I feel like it completely describes the feeling of being overwhelmed with who God is & what he has done for us.
Through all of the storms and trials of my life He has been there. He has shown up in doctors offices, living rooms, classrooms, & parking lots. He has answered prayers, comforted me, & healed me. Most of all, through his son Jesus Christ, He has forgiven me and is helping me grow one day at a time. He is awesome & He deserves all of my praise.