Confession of a Busy Mom

Well I’ve let it happen to myself again. There has been so much going on in the past month! Its the end of the school year and we’ve just been GOING, GOING, GOING… DOING, DOING, DOING… We’re so Busy. I’ve gotten to a point where I think I need to re-evaluate everything we are “doing”. What are we “busy” with? Does God call us to these things? Is it time to let go of some things? I have always struggled with being busy. In High School I played tennis, was on the cheer squad, was in the High School Musical each year, sang in the choir, was involved in church, (of course there was ALWAYS a boyfriend to spend time with) and somehow I managed to be an average student at a College Prep School. None of these things were “bad”, but I think I was so busy that I didn’t give the necessary attention to the things that should have been priorities. Sometimes I wish I could go back and shake my teen self and tell her to focus on what really matters!

• “Cheerleading is great but don’t make it a priority because you’re going to end up hurting yourself so many times that you can’t even Cheer on the College level.”
  • “Don’t worry about that silly boy because he’s just going to break your heart in a few months after he meets another girl while he’s away for a few weeks over the summer.”

Or maybe I should look in the mirror right now and say it to my adult self…

• “Don’t join another committee that will take up more of your time. Your daughters are starved for your attention.”
  • “Think and pray more before you agree to go as a chaperone on that next Youth trip. Your husband is tired and you need to spend some one on one time together. He needs you.”
  • “It’s time to step away from that commitment. Your season there is over. It’s time to open yourself up to whatever God is calling you to next.”

It’s tough stuff to think about, let alone pray about. “God, show me what you want me to be doing… and what you DON’T want me to be doing.”, because the thing is I need to follow through & obey. Yikes! I may actually have to STOP doing something! I may have to say “No”! I might have to disappoint someone because God is calling me to something else. So for now, I will pray for strength in this season of busyness. I will pray for God’s discernment, that He will show me what He wants me to be doing. I will pray that He will guide me as I weed out those things that I am not supposed to be spending my time on. I will ask Him to set my priorities straight.

Psalm 25:4-5 “Show me the right path, O Lord;     point out the road for me to follow.  Lead me by your truth and teach me,     for you are the God who saves me.     All day long I put my hope in you.”

Have you ever found yourself in a season of busyness like me? Has God called you to let go of some activities? I would love to hear what God has done & is doing in your life! Until Next Time, signature.fw

I shared this on the Grace & Truth Linkup, Christian Mommy Blogger, Faith & Fellowship Blog HopFaith Filled Fridays. If you’re a Faith Blogger check them out!

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “Confession of a Busy Mom

1. betsydecruz says:

Visiting you from Grace & Truth, Megan. These are great questions I need to ask my adult self as well. It is so easy to get overcommitted. I’m in a season homeschooling two teens, one graduating, and the last year I’ve found I need to give more time homeward than in years past. I’m trying to embrace it, but it’s hard to say no to other things. I love that Psalm you’re sharing today. So much wisdom there.

• Made To Bloom says:

Oh Betsy, what an awesome season to be in! Wow! With my 2 littles I’m looking toward that future season with excitement & a little nervous fear. Bless you for what you do & have done every day for your kids. 😉

2. Susan Gaddis says:

Ouch! Even though I’ve raised all my kids, finished homeschooling, and looking forward to some quiet days … they aren’t often there. And it’s my fault. And you’ve reminded me of that. (Along with about 5 other posts on being too busy … you’d think I’d have gotten it through my thick skill by now. I think I need to be reminded almost every day. Ugg.) So thanks … now I’ll mosey off to do some tweaking on my schedule.

3. Bonnie Lyn Smith says:

What a breath of fresh air! I really needed this confirmation of what I, too, have been hearing from God. Resting is also okay. I think I get a false high from a frenetic schedule–and maybe a false sense of self-worth too. Great topic! Pinning! Tweeting! Blessings from “Espressos of Faith”!

• Made To Bloom says:

Thanks Bonnie! Looks like God’s been working on both of us. I feel like I do so much because it’s a “good” thing to do, but now I’m asking myself (and God) is it the “best” thing to do.

4. Amy says:

It’s like you’ve been reading my mind. Seriously, it’s kind of scary. I didn’t get a post up today because life has thrown so much at me this week that I’ve been falling asleep at 8 every night. It’s definitely time to do some prioritizing.

Liked by 1 person

• Made To Bloom says:

Amy, I feel like my MONTH had been like that. Is it the season? Just know that I’m right there with you and I just said a little prayer for you. 😉 oh! BTW your post about the chorizo potato cakes… I’m totally menu planning with that next week!

5. kcgroves says:

This week has been very, very busy! I finally took a “day off” today and just sat and relaxed as much as a mom can anyway.